This recipe came about from a modded variation of another pizza-like recipe I often make using eggplants and sweet potato. Although, this time I decided I wanted to make a cauliflower flatbread crust to go along with the yummy, yet healthy toppings I generally like to use.
While this cauliflower flatbread pizza recipe may take a little time to make, I actually enjoy the prep work involved and found the process of creating the crust from scratch really fun! Plus, you’ll know exactly what ingredients you’ll be putting into your body and you can enjoy a tasty and healthy, guilt-free meal without the added carbs!
Makes: Approx. 6 – 8 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 65 – 75 minutes
Prep and cook times overlap in this recipe
What you’ll need
- Metal Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Food Processor (Check this Cuisinart Mini food processor I love using)
- Cutting knife and board
- Aluminum Foil
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesean Cheese
- 1 Tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/2 Head of Cauliflower
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Dried Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1 Medium Sized Eggplant
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 Large Mozzarella Ball
- 1 Cup Baby Spinach
- 1 1/2 Cups Pizza Sauce
- Pinch of Himalayan Salt
- Pinch of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- You’ll want to start off by poking a few holes in the sweet potato and wrapping it in aluminum foil. Set the oven to 450 degree Fahrenheit and place the wrapped potato in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut half of the cauliflower head into smaller florets. Place in the food processor and process until cauliflower is finely ground.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cauliflower, half cup of Parmesan cheese, oregano, salt and minced garlic and blend ingredients together.
- Beat the two eggs and add into the mixing bowl along with a tablespoon of water. Mix again until all ingredients are well blended.
- Take out a large sheet of parchment paper that is the same length as the cookie sheet and lay it flat on the sheet. Scoop out the cauliflower contents and spread onto the parchment paper.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 20 minutes and up the temperature to 500 degree Fahrenheit. This is so that the crust hardens a bit and won’t get soggy when layering the pizza sauce. If it hasn’t yet been 45 minutes for the sweet potato, it is OK to leave in there with the cookie sheet.
- While waiting, cut the eggplant width-wise into thin, circular slices. Do the same for the mozzarella.
- Once the sweet potato is ready (test this by poking it a bit. If it is soft to poke/cut then it’s ready), peel it’s skin and slice it width-wise into thin, circular slices similar to the eggplant.
- After 20 minutes, take the pizza crust out of the oven. Add one thin layer of pizza sauce evenly on crust. Next layer on some spinach.
Next add the eggplant toppings followed by the sweet potato. Finally, add another layer of pizza sauce followed by the mozzarella slices.
- Place back in the oven for an additional 20 -25 minutes until the mozzarella has fully melted.
- Once ready take the flatbread out of the oven. Add a pinch of salt and crushed red peppers on top, wait for it to cool a bit and it’s ready for eating!
I hope you enjoy this cauliflower flatbread pizza recipe! If you’re a veggie lover like myself, you’ll get the benefit of having a meal overloaded with a variation of vegetables prepared in several ways. Enjoy!