I think this goes without saying that sharing a casserole recipe is a bit of a must, especially when the site’s name has the word casserole in it. So here it is. My first casserole recipe for you, and it’s a relatively healthy one too.
I had a big ‘ole cauliflower sitting in my fridge for some time, and I normally like to make some sort of flatbread with it (it’s a great alternative to dough!), but this time I had the urge to experiment with it and try something with a little more of a moist texture to it. This recipe is pretty simple to follow and make, but please note that it does take a little more time than usual to cook. So if you’re starving and looking for something quick to prep up, this probably isn’t the recipe for you (at this time) 🙂
Makes: Approx. 8 servings
Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 ~70 minutes
Prep and cook times do not overlap in this recipe
What you’ll need
- Casserole Dish
- Cutting knife and board
- Food Processor
- Large mixing bowl
- 1 Medium sized Cauliflower
- 1/2 Can of Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies and Habaneros (such as this or this) or
- 1/2 Can of Plain Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Green Jalapeno Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Hot Sauce
- 10 Oz Mozzarella (aprox. 1 1/2 Cup Cubed Mozzarella)
- 3 Cups Diced Grilled Chicken Strips
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan
- 1/2 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Minced Garlic
- Handful of Olives
- Before starting, set your oven to 450 degrees and let it heat up. By the time you’re done prepping the casserole base, your oven should be good to go!
- Chop the entire cauliflower into smaller pieces to fit inside your food processor. You may need to do this in small chunks depending how big your processor is. Do not add any water to moisten the chopped cauliflower. Once its chopped, add them into your large mixing bowl.
- Add in all of the chicken, half of the portion of diced tomato, 1/2 of the 1 and a half cup of mozzarella, salt, pepper, minced garlic and all of the Parmesan, into the mixing bowl with the cauliflower. Then mix the ingredients.
- Beat the 3 eggs in a separate bowl. Once fully beaten, add to your mixing bowl and mix it in with the other blended ingredients.
- Spray down your casserole dish and add the mixture from your mixing bowl into the dish. Spread evenly and press down lightly with a spoon or a fork.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes. This lets the casserole cook and evaporate some of the liquid. It’ll also harden the outer edges of the casserole and turn the outside a light golden brown. You may want to add your remaining ingredients back in the fridge (olives, mozzarella, and tomatoes) until you need them.
- Once the 20 minutes is up, pop the casserole back out. Lower the oven heat to 350 degrees. Evenly spread the remaining mozzarella, tomatoes and olives onto the casserole. Optionally you can even add a bit of Parmesan and other yummy ingredients (perhaps more chicken, different type of cheeses, etc).
- Pop the casserole back in the oven for another 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
And here’s what the finished product looks like! I’m drooling just looking at this :O
The finished casserole is actually pretty flavorful. It’s very moist, almost crumbly (due to the texture of chopped up cauliflower) but it packs a bunch of flavors. It also goes really well with some hot sauce. Try adding that if you’re looking for a bit more spice.
If you liked this recipe, or have suggestions or comments, be sure to leave feedback in the comments section below.