There’s a bit of a background to this coconut key lime pie recipe, and to my interest in vegan in general. Normally, I like baking and bringing my baked goods into the office to share with my coworkers. It’s fun for me and my coworkers seem to love the treats! But one of my coworkers had decided to turn to a vegan diet and I felt bad constantly bringing in non-vegan baked goods.
So after a bit of research on what a vegan diet actually entails, I created the vegan coconut key lime pie. I normally make this in small, jar-filled amounts since I used to only make it for one person, but have been making larger pies since my coworkers and friends also loved the healthy treat.
Makes: Approx. 8 servings
Prep time: 30 – 40 minutes
Cooking Time: None!
What you’ll need
- Pie dish
- Cutting knife and board
- Food Processor
- 1 1/2 Cup Cashews (soaked for a few hours in water)
- 8 Dates (pitted)
- 3 Tbsp Organic Maple Syrup
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 2 Avocados
- 8 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Cup Shredded Vegan Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Cashews (soaked for a few hours in water)
- 5 Tbsp Organic Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Salt
- Before starting, make sure to soak the cashews in water for a few hours. This softens the cashews and makes it easier to grind them up. After a few hours, drain the cashews and you’re ready to start!
- in a food processor, cut up the 8 dates in half and place evenly in the processor. Add in the 1 1/2 cup of cashews, maple syrup and water and blend until call cashews and dates are evenly mixed
- Spread the crust mixture onto the pie dish and crimp the edges. Place in the freezer to chill while making the filling.
- Making the filling is just as simple. In the food processor, cut and peel the avocados into fourths. Blend the avocados until you get a creamy mixture
- Add the lime juice, cashews, salt and maple syrup and blend again until you get a creamy mixture.
- Finally, add in half a cup of the shredded coconut and blend for a few seconds. You’ll want a creamy texture but with small chunks of coconut.
- Take the pie crust out of the freezer and add in the filling. spread evenly. Sprinkle the last half cup of shredded coconut onto the pie.
- Place the pie in the freezer. Take the pie out an hour before serving to let thaw.
This is a simple and fun recipe to make! I love that it involves delicious and healthy ingredients such as dates and avocados. And there is no oven or baking involved! If you happen to follow this recipe, don’t forget to comment and leave feedback. I would love to hear your thoughts!
Boun Apetit! ~